Sunday, March 27, 2011

Skittle Cheesecake

Have you heard of it?

I bet not! I googled it and I couldn't find a single recipe, but I had the idea the other day and I've decided to attempt it.

Now I know, it's not beading or jewelry related, but trust me on this one. It's the same basic thing. I am just a person with this weird need to make other people happy. I'm a notorious door holder, even if I am standing there for a good five minutes before that person gets to the door. I say "thank you" to everyone. I tell store clerks to enjoy their day before they can tell me. I just really love doing little nice things. So what does this have to do with cheesecake? Or beading?

Super simple. It makes people feel pretty to wear jewelry and happy to eat cheesecake. This in turn fills that little need of mine... it's actually sort of selfish because it boils down to me feeling good when they do. Also, when I discovered that I can actually make a decent cheesecake, it was like finding the lost city of Atlantis! My first attempt was a key lime, and I followed my instincts as opposed to my better judgement. I messed with ingredients, I added extras, I removed others and next thing you know-- delicious cheesecake. I didn't even know that there are supposedly all these rules for cheesecake, like don't blend too long or be careful how you pour it, or that it can crack and brown too much. It just came out smooth and delicious. Also, since I don't have an electric mixer, I tried to do it in the blender. And when that didn't work, I mixed it by hand. I also juiced the limes without a little twirly juicer and I had no grater so I minced lime peel. Despite all this mess, it worked. Suddenly I knew that I now had the power to make my favorite dessert ANY WAY I WANTED. So now, I want it with Skittles.

All the nonsense aside, I wanted to share my plan. Aka, my super secret recipe. I am not sure this will work, but I've been thinking about it for a solid day now and I have faith. Anyone out there who wants to play along can definitely try it for themselves, because this is going to be fun!

The Invention of Skittle Cheesecake
Recipe, Take One.

Basic Recipe for NY Style Cheesecake (Minus Skittle Alterations)

4 (8oz) packages of cream cheese
1.5 cups of white sugar
3/4 cup milk
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Mix sugar and cream cheese until smooth
Blend in milk, then mix in eggs one at a time
Mix in sour cream, vanilla and flour until smooth
Pour into crust
Bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes then turn off oven, leave door closed and let cool for 5-6 hours
Chill before serving.

Skittle Related Alterations!

*Add another tablespoon of vanilla extract. Or two more. Seriously, you can never have enough Vanilla Extract and I'm not even joking.
*Add a tablespoon of the following: lime juice, lemon juice, orange juice. Fresh squeezed! Or else.
*Add a dash of grated lime peel, lemon peel, and orange peel. If you squeeze the fruits, you'll have the peels left over anyway. Also, there is no way I am actually going to measure out those tablespoons of juice. *Honestly, just squeeze an orange, lemon and lime and add however much comes out. Trust me.
*Add 1/4 cup of pureed stawberries. They better not be frozen or I will personally come to your house and yell at you.
* I'm not sure exactly how this part works because I don't know how to melt skittles but I have a backup plan as well.
*Skittles Plan A: Melt 1/2 a cup of skittles. Try the microwave but keep an eye on them in case they explode. Or maybe try a sauce pan on low heat? I think I'm going to try aluminum foil in a sauce pan because I don't know if Teflon can handle melted, sticky skittles. Start pouring cheesecake batter into a premade graham cracker crust and swirl in the skittle mix as well as green, purple, orange, yellow and red food coloring.
*Skittles Plan B: If you can't figure out how to melt them, put 1/2 a cup of Skittles in a sandwich bag. Drive through rush hour traffic and build a decent amount of road rage. Come home and take it out on the skittles with a blunt object. Seriously, smash the hell out of those offensive little drivers who just can't be bothered to use blinkers, or get off your tail or go above 20 miles per hour... wait. No. I mean smash the Skittles. Yep. Skittles. I am not sure what blunt object will work best, feel free to get creative. Layer the cheesecake batter into your crust and add the food coloring from Plan A, but sprinkle the smooshed Skittle crumbs in between the layers.
* Bake for 60 minutes in the preheated oven and then realize that you have friends coming over in about 2 hours to try your invention. Decide that 5-6 hours is for suckers who do things properly. Turn off the oven after 60 minutes and leave the cheesecake for 1 extra hour. Maybe 1/2 an hour. Put cheesecake in fridge and resist the urge to stick your finger in it and try it. Maybe sprinkle more squished Skittles on top?
* Take cheesecake out of the fridge when you can't resist any more. This will vary from person to person.
*Enjoy!...hopefully?

So there's my 2 cents for today. Next post I'll put up some pictures and let you know how it went and then I'll get back to all the business-y beading stuff. For now? Wish me luck!!

Yours-

the little miss milyssabeth.

1 comment:

  1. How did this turn out? Iʻm very curious! My friend loves cheesecake and skittles so I was thinking of combining them together! If this came out good, Iʻd love to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete